I can’t believe it’s November. Do you ever feel that November and Thanksgiving are almost forgotten at times? I’ve already watched a Christmas movie on the Hallmark Channel, and I must say, every movie tends to end the same way.
November is an important month for Bradfordville. I hope you’ll read the rest of today’s article and take note of the different ministries happening this month. Your prayers are greatly appreciated, and your participation is important, too.
1. Our church-wide Thanksgiving meal. Sunday, November 13 is the date for our annual church-wide Thanksgiving lunch. We’ll have tents set up in the north parking lot. The church is furnishing the meat, drinks, and bread. You’re asked to bring sides and desserts. You’ll find specific details about what to bring in this week’s newsletter. I love seeing our church family fellowship together around a special meal. As a church, let’s be thankful to God and to one another.
2. Our Thanksgiving Day lunch at the South Campus. Last year’s Thanksgiving Day meal was a special time of worship and fellowship. If you’re in town on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, and not committed to lunch with family members, I invite you to join Angie and me for lunch at the South Campus. Lunch starts at noon. The meat and drinks will be provided. You’re asked to bring traditional Thanksgiving sides and desserts. Please call the Church Office to make a reservation.
3. Our special-called church conferences. We have two special-called church conferences this month. On Sunday morning, November 20, you’ll be able to affirm the new deacon candidates. A list of proposed candidates will be emailed to you this week. A ballot will be included in the worship bulletin on November 20. On Wednesday evening, November 30, the Finance Committee will present the 2017 operating budget for your approval. Finance Committee members will be available to answer questions on Wednesday evening, November 16, Sunday morning, November 20, and Sunday morning, November 27 in the Lobby before and after the services. The Ad Hoc Constitution and By-Laws Team will ask you to affirm the proposed changes to the church’s governing documents. You’ll receive copies of the proposed changes in the near future. Great work from those who serve on the Finance Committee and the Constitution and By-Laws Team!
4. Our Thanksgiving season sermon series. It’s typical to preach a sermon series about Christmas and Easter. However, what about Thanksgiving? God has called you and me to be thankful people. In the three-week sermon series, we’ll look at God’s Word and what He says about being thankful. Many of these sermon texts are easy to quote and not easy to live out. The sermon series begins on Sunday, November 13.
5. Our involvement at the Florida Baptist Convention’s Annual Meeting. Bradfordville is an affiliated church with the Florida Baptist Convention. This year’s annual meeting is being held at Calvary Baptist Church in Clearwater. The dates for the annual gathering are November 13-15. We have several members involved in different leadership positions. Stella Cottrell begins serving on the State Board of Missions in 2017. Rick Stewart is leading the state’s education ministers. I’m serving on the convention’s Committee on Nominations and as a trustee of the Baptist College of Florida. God is using our church to make a difference in the Florida Baptist Convention.
6. Our collection of Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. The collection dates for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes are November 6-13. Your filled shoeboxes allow the Gospel to be shared around the world. You can still pick up empty shoeboxes in the Lobby and in the brick hallway by the education building. Thank you for “loving outward” by filling shoeboxes. You’ll find more details about where to bring filled shoeboxes in this week’s newsletter.
7. Our Thanksgiving outreach at MANNA. MANNA receives the most requests during November. On November 15, turkeys and special food items will be given to guests. It’s also the time when the greatest number of volunteers is needed. If you’re available on that date, please come at noon and prepare food bags and at 4:00 pm to minister to guests and distribute bags of groceries. MANNA also opens the door for us to minister to people’s spiritual needs. Volunteers lead a Bible study, pray with guests, and love outward.
8. Our annual Veterans luncheon at the South Campus. I have the utmost respect for the many men and women who have served and are serving our country. You brave men and women are America’s finest! Tom Cooney, and students and leaders in our student ministry, are planning a special lunch for Veterans and their families. The lunch is November 6 at noon. Please call the Church Office to make your reservation.
I encourage you to be faithful to the Lord and His church. Let’s make November a month to remember at Bradfordville!
A Thankful Pastor,