Jesus said in Matthew 5:14-16…
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”
Imagine being in first century Palestine at night. No streetlights, no lighted signs, no lit shopping centers, and no headlights to guide your way. The only light that can be produced at night is by oil burning lamps. Jesus used this imagery to explain that by virtue of our good works, we are those lamps. We are the light.
Now imagine an ancient city on a hill. Imagine the city at night with lamps burning in homes and streets. It would definitely glow against a pitch black landscape. It could not be hidden. Now imagine everyone in our church doing continuous good works, sharing Jesus, and glorifying God. Our church could not be hidden. We would “Light Up Bradfordville.”
So this year, in addition to serving and loving the community by having free inflatables, hot dogs, pony rides, a petting zoo, and a huge trunk or treat, we have been intentional in making sure our light shines on a personal level.
- We have 20-25 hosts that will do nothing but float throughout the crowd and talk to people and build relationships with them to make sure they feel welcomed and loved.
- This year we will have a manned prayer table set up so anyone that needs prayers for anything can come to the table and someone will pray for them. We will also use this table to have information about the church and continue our prayer connection with the people we meet.
- Christian Magician David Garrard will not only be performing magic shows throughout the night, but he will also talk openly about Jesus as he performs.
- We will have guided tours throughout the church for those who would like to see the inside of the building.
- We also have some very special princesses that will be dressed up floating among the crowd to pass out information about our church, worship and Sunday school times, and other ministries.
This year we are asking everyone to be involved. This is not a children’s event or a student event. This is a city on a hill event.
Please join us as we “Light up Bradfordville.”
Children and Family Pastor